Happy Mother’s Day! And happy first recipe.
I heart you for reading this post! Just an FYI, I don’t pretend to be a nutrition or fitness expert – I’m just a Vegas chick who who never stops thinking about food and how to look good in a bikini at the same time. I’m just hoping I can entertain those of you who are into nutrition fun facts, vegan curious or bi-curious, or on the lookout for recipes that taste awesome and won’t make you fat…because that’s ALL I WANT!
I hope everyone had a fab Mother’s Day! My mom’s been in town from The OC and we’ve been running around Vegas watching Elton John, Jersey Boys and eating our weight in guacamole – goodtimes! We also ate veggie burgers from Sugar Factory and avocado tacos from Border Grill that were super delicious and vegan approved (with some no-dairy requests.) My mom follows a pretty strict no sugar, dairy or wheat diet for her migraines, and I peer pressured her into watching Forks Over Knives so I think now she might be on the veggie train back to So Cal. Fun fact – my mom only drinks tequila. She drank a lot while watching the doc so I think that means she liked it!
Here’s a recipe for some spicy veggie pasta! Not gonna lie, I could probably eat this entire portion in one sitting but I know you’re all civilized people so I’m going to say it serves 2-4 and try to learn some self control. Also, try not to mandolin your finger like I did, because that’s not vegan.
SPICY VEGGIE PASTA
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 40 min
- 2 zucchini
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 12 oz bag broccoli & carrot slaw mix (Trader Joe’s or equivalent)
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cups marinara sauce (I use Trader Joe’s organic marinara)
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Vegan cheese (optional)
- Using a mandolin, slice your zucchini and sweet potato into “noodles” (you can slice them with a knife, but the mandolin tool is suggested to help prevent carpal tunnel. You can also use a cheese grater for shorter noodles.)
- Add your thinly sliced onion to a large saucepan and sauté in olive oil until translucent (3 minutes or so.)
- Add zucchini & sweet potato “noodles,” broccoli & carrot slaw, mushrooms, garlic, salt & pepper and red pepper flakes and stir well to combine in the pan.
- Cover and cook on med-low heat for 10-15 min until noodles are cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in marinara sauce, then simmer on low while covered for another 5-10 minutes.
- Top with vegan cheese if desired, cover until melted.
- Serve immediately!