Hey party people! Today I’m making cookies because 1. my mom is in town for her annual Mother’s Day weekend extravaganza, 2. I’m celebrating my 1 year-a-versary of being vegan (vega-versary?), and 3. what kind of crazy person doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies!? I remember it like it was yesterday…it was New Year’s 2013 and I was making my usual resolution to eat better, work out, and blah blah the usual proclamations that people always tend to stick to for about 3 weeks. Then, I stumbled across 2 documentaries on Netflix that had a huge impact on me- Vegucated and Forks Over Knives. I had seen films like these before and knew deep down they presented a logical enough argument to motivate anyone to change the way they eat, but I was always too lazy to apply this knowledge to my own life. But this time around, I was ready. A few friends and I got together and decided to make a change for the better. By February, I was no longer consuming chicken, pork, red meat or dairy. I stuck with just fish/seafood for a bit, but by April I had no desire to continue eating any kind of animal products. I just felt better when I didn’t. As a side effect, switching to green smoothies for breakfast also caused me to stop drinking coffee. Just like that, it was all behind me and I’ve never looked back.
A year later, I have the following pearls of wisdom to share with you-
- It’s just as easy to get fat eating vegan junk food as it is eating regular junk food.
- Nothing will ever stop BBQ from smelling amazing.
- It’s worth it to place high maintenance orders at restaurants if it means getting what you need. People will also Snapchat you doing this.
- People will never stop asking you where you get your protein and/or what foods you miss the most.
- Kimberly Snyder is my hero.
Ok, enough about me for one blog…on to the cookies!
Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies (Gluten Free)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Total time: 27 minutes
Makes: 15 cookies
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp all purpose gluten free flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Pinch Himalayan sea salt
- 1 flax egg
- 4 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 chopped raw walnuts (or whichever type of nuts you prefer)
- Prep- preheat your oven to 350* F and make your flax egg and put it in the refrigerator.
- Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in another. Mix dry & wet ingredients together, then stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Spoon 15 balls of the cookie dough onto a nonstick cookie sheet, and bake for 12-15 min or until the tops are lightly brown. While your cookies are baking, lick your bowl, because why not.