Congratulations! It’s Fall, and Fall = pumpkin all the things! Are you as excited as I am!? I mean, I’m a girl so I can’t not.
What’s everyone being for Halloween? Slutty ghost? Slutty Miley? Slutty Nori West? We have our work party tomorrow night and I’m going as one of those beer maids from Hofbrauhaus/Oktoberfest/Germany, mainly so I can get paid to paddle people’s fannies. It blows my mind that that’s someone’s job, for real. #jealous #secondcareer There’s also a pumpkin decorating contest at work, and I submitted my best Grumpy Cat. Fingers crossed!
For real, though. Fall & winter weather mean tons and tons of soup which is super exciting but also bittersweet because I feel like my tongue is permanently burnt since I have no patience. Here’s a soup that’s not pumpkin-y:
Butternut Squash Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50-70 minutes
Total time: 60-80 minutes
Makes: About 8 servings
- 1 med or lg butternut squash, cubed & skin removed
- 1 med or lg sweet potato, cubed
- 1 med yellow onion, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp Herbs de Provence or other Italian herbs
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 32 oz container of vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk (both light and regular will work)
- Preheat oven to 400*
- In a large baking dish, add cubed butternut squash, sweet potato, coconut oil, garlic, herbs de Provence, and salt & pepper. Mix together until everything is coated evenly
- Bake in the oven until tender (usually 40-60 minutes), stirring about half way through
- When the squash/potatoes are almost done baking, add the chopped onion to a large saucepan and sauté until translucent (additional oil optional)
- When the squash/potatoes are done, add to the saucepan with the onions, add vegetable stock and simmer for 15 minutes
- Blend the soup mixture using a hand blender or transfer to a regular blender then pour back into the saucepan.
- Add the coconut milk and taste, adjust seasoning if desired
- Serve immediately, although I find it tastes better the next day…if it lasts. I like to eat mine with hot sauce!